What is Health - How can we Define Health
We all are concerned about it – the ‘Health’. But what is it exactly? What is the definition of health? Let’s check some information about the Health.
Definition of Health
As per the World Health Organization in 1948 (W.H.O) health is “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” Maybe some people are not convinced with this definition of the Health. But based on the global definition, some of the main points of health can be described this way –
- If you are healthy, that means at present you are physically, mentally and also socially living well. And this attribute you can carry all over your life.
- If you don’t have any kind of diseases, that does not mean you are healthy. You also must have the ability to recover from any kind of diseases and illness.
- Health is dependent with your hereditary qualities, nature, the environment where you live, your connections with other people and educations.
- A good diet, some workouts, regular body checkup and adapting some healthy lifestyle is the best way to keep you healthy.
Lets check how some of the legends defined health.
Health Quotes from the Legends
Categories of Health
Health can be categorized in two parts – Physical Health and Mental Health.
If you are physically healthy that means your body works perfectly and the performance of your body is on a sky high. You don’t have any kind of illness on you. You do regular health checkups to ensure that you will remain this way.
You are eating healthy foods and maintain a good diet chart. You don’t eat junk foods much and always care for the foods you consume. Before buying your foods you check the Sugar, Fat and calories content in those.
You also do some workouts to remain healthy and fit. You do some push-ups and squats or running exercises or Yoga to keep you in shape. You are not much concerned about getting fatty or obese because you know you can’t be like that.
You also avoid use of tobacco products that can harm you. You also don’t use illegal drugs; alcohol consumption is under safe limit; always care for hygiene.
When we hear the term ‘Mental Health’ – we link it with madness, mostly. If you say “ The guy is mental” – then we think that the guy is crazy or psychopath type. The term has created bad impression among the general public. But it’s not the case.
Mental health cover all the emotional and psychological aspects of a human being. It includes what and how we feel, think and act in our daily life. In our life how we behave with friends, family and
other people. What we do when gets under pressure in different points of life. The mental health depends on our heredity, upbringings, experiences in life like trauma and stress etc.
If we go with WHO, then it has said that the mental health is – “a state of well-being in which every individual realises his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.”
You can associate the terms like ‘happiness’, ‘positive attitude’ etc. words with mental health. But the actual definition is buried in quite deeply. But we can identify some of the signs of different mental conditions.
Healthy and Unhealthy Mental Conditions
If we say that the person is mentally healthy, that means the person :-
- have the ability to learn and work with them.
- Able to feel and express all kinds of emotions
- can handle stress properly
- work effectively with all things in life
- able to recognize full possibilities of his/her life
- can maintain good relations with others
- have the ability to be in self-control, patient and tolerant
If someone says that the person is mentally unhealthy, that means the person
- confused most of the time
- Gets too much angry or happy or sad with common things
- is distressed most of the time, not much improvement is seen.
- Gets worried or scared most of the time
- don’t like to get social, love to stay alone mostly
- too much/less sleeping or eating
- sudden changes in mood and behavior
- hallucination and delusion
- gets angry with family members and friends
then we can say that the person is not mentally well of fit. Generally these things can be considered when we point to someones mental health.
What is called Fitness?
What is ‘Fitness’? Actually the concept of the term fitness is quite huge. None can define it just in one sentence. Fitness means being fit – both physically and mentally. If you are fit, then you can do your daily tasks and duties effectively and efficiently without much difficulty; You are mentally strong and you have a robust willpower to face all kind of difficulties; You are able to perform sports and exercises without any physical obstacles.
There are several factors are there to determine if you are fit are not. These are
- Cardiovascular Health : This factor can be decided by your total physical activity like how much and how long exercises pain you can endure even without tiredness.
- Composition of your Body : Body composition is decided by your body factors like height to weight ratio, muscle growth, bone density and strength, fat distribution, skin health etc.
- Overall Muscle strength and Tolerance : It can be decided by your total muscle strength like how much it can generate, how much pain your muscle can tolerate without any fatigues etc.
- Flexibility : When your body is in motion, how much movement you can generate with your joints like stretching your different body parts. This is important to get success with your sports career.
- Speed : This factor is decided by the movement of your body like how fast it can move to accomplish any kind of tasks.
- Balance : This is like how much control you have on your own body. There should be enough control on your mind too to keep your body in balance especially when you are in high speed motion.